I f you look through the types of water that are available at the supermarket, you will find a plethora of options, which may include mineral water, alkaline water with different pH levels, distilled water, ionized water, spring water, soda water, vitamin water, and some other fruity varieties. Some of them are natural, collected from springs and filtered, while others have undergone different industrial processes like ionization or distillation, and this is the main reason for which they include different quantities of minerals. The area from which the water was collected is important as well, as some parts of the country are richer in minerals, and the water, in its way to the surface will absorb more of them.
However, not only bottled water can come with a large number of minerals. Tap water carries them as well and, although it is drawn through multiple filtering layers, designed to remove contaminants and toxins, it manages to keep an important part of the minerals. They are not indeed the best that can happen to your humidifiers or dehumidifiers, but they can actually benefit you a lot.
In this article, you will find a list of the most important minerals that can be found in water and learn how drinking water with minerals can help you stay healthy, so keep reading for detailed explanations.
Looking for a way to get filtered water that can still preserve its minerals? Check out our selection of under-counter water ionizers. These devices will serve you with tasty alkaline water and a good portion of minerals.
What Minerals Are Found in Water?
As explained, the number of minerals can vary depending on the source of water, and the proportion can be different, but, in general, the following minerals are present in the water we drink:
- Calcium – Ca2+ – It is highly important for bone development in children and helps to maintain the strength of the bones in adults. No matter the age, the body needs calcium to stay strong and healthy. If the body isn’t given enough Ca, the risk of osteoporosis and hip fractures is higher.
- Magnesium – Mg2+ – The nervous system can be affected if the quantity of magnesium in the organism is too low. This will show through headaches, trembling hands, or dizziness. However, most Americans have a low-magnesium diet.
- Potassium – K+ – A diet rich in potassium can reduce blood pressure and reduce the risk of strokes. It can also prevent water retention and kidney stones.
- Fluoride – F- – It is known the benefic effect of fluoride on teeth. It prevents cavities and naturally strengthens the enamel. Although there were claims that high fluoride intake can be dangerous, there are no certain results to prove it.
- Sodium – Na2+ – It can help balance the internal fluids, enhance muscle function, and improve nerve transmission, and a certain quantity is essential for normal functioning of the organism, but too much sodium can lead to high blood pressure so it should be consumed with care.
High-pH water is rich in minerals and easy to obtain. Take a look at our first-rate water ionizers and install one on your countertop in less than 30 minutes.
How Drinking Water Minerals Can Benefit You?
Some filters will not only clean the water of pollutants but will remove a big part of the minerals. This is the same that happens when the water gets distilled. Although this type of water is considered pure, it is not necessarily the best for your organism. You will need to rely only on food to provide you the optimal amount of minerals and keep an eye on your diet, otherwise, you may end up with mineral deficiencies.
This is why drinking mineral water or water that has kept its minerals after filtering is important. Tap water and alkaline water are a great fit, while spring water is seen as the best option.
Here are some of the most important advantages of drinking water with minerals:
It can treat magnesium deficiency
The recommended dose of magnesium per day is 310 to 320 milligrams for women and 400 to 420 milligrams for men. If the necessary isn’t supplied for a longer period of time, magnesium deficiencies can appear and they will manifest through the following symptoms:
- Low appetite
- Muscle cramps
- Frequent mood changes
- Irregular heartbeats
If the situation persists, the lack of Mg can affect the heart and lead to strokes. Mg is important for the nervous system as well and a deficiency can lead to irritability and depression.
Depending on the area, one liter could ensure you from 1 milligram to 120 mg of Mg2+. You should try to get the rest from food. Try eating more beans, spinach, and other items that are rich in magnesium.
It strengthens the bones
In children, the pace of new bone tissue forming is faster than the pace in which old bone tissue gets damaged. However, as you get older this report tends to change, and the bones can easily become frailer. In old people, this is already a serious problem. Therefore, to reduce the effects, you need to consume food that is rich in calcium and drink mineral water.
In 2017, a team of scientists compared the way calcium is absorbed in the organism by testing milk, mineral water, and calcium supplements. The results showed that the minerals in the water were absorbed faster and in a larger proportion.
It reduces blood pressure and regulates blood circulation
Potassium and magnesium play an important role in maintaining a regulate heartbeat rhythm and sustaining the elasticity of blood vessels. Thus, the blood can circulate easier through arteries and veins, and the heart won’t work that hard to keep it circulating.
It improves the health of the digestive system
Consuming mineral water that contains sodium or magnesium sulfate has been proven to produce more frequent bowel movements and prevent constipation. Moreover, Mg improves stool consistency by attracting more water to the intestines. At the same time, it helps relax the intestinal walls for better bowel movements.
What is ionized water? Find the answer in our article and learn how you can make it at home. It has a high content of minerals but is cheaper than bottled mineral or alkaline water.
Are There Any Drawbacks?
Studies have shown that drinking water that contains minerals is generally safe. In any case, it is more beneficial than drinking water that has no minerals at all. Nevertheless, some disadvantages can be identified:
- Some mineral water brands may contain too much sodium – Sodium can be a problem if you are suffering from high blood pressure, so you should check the label every time, even if you don’t have this problem. In time, high levels of salt can lead to its emergence.
- Bottled water could be contaminated with microscopic plastic particles – The study is still in an incipient and the long-term results of consuming water with plastic are still to be determined. However, animal testing has shown that they can accumulate inside the body and favor inflammation.
- Sparkling water can affect the enamel – If consumed regularly, it can favor the emergence of cavities by weakening the enamel. Nevertheless, it has been proven that its action on the teeth is 100 times milder than the action of soft sweetened drinks.
Check out our best alkaline water pitchers in an honest comparison, designed to help you pick the most suitable one for you. They filter the water of toxins, but all the good things, like minerals, are left unaffected.
Can Alkaline Water Ensure the Necessary Minerals?
The first thing we should clear here is that no type of water can fully deliver the full amount of minerals. You will need to make sure that your diet contains them in the first place and then use water to complete the gaps.
Alkaline water is among the waters that contain a large amount of CA2+, Mg2+, and K+. The source can be either natural, and, in this case, the spring water usually contains more minerals, or artificial, namely a water ionizer can act upon the minerals in the tap water and increase the pH. In this case, the quantity of minerals depends on how rich the tap water is in them.
Nevertheless, high-pH water is usually abundant enough in minerals to provide a good portion every day and can easily be obtained at home, unlike mineral water that comes from a spring and needs to be bottled.
Find out more of the benefits of consuming alkaline water here. Once you will discover how beneficial it is for your body, you will see why its popularity is today on a rising path.
The Bottom Line
A healthy diet and regular exercise can help you live a healthier life. For your body to function properly, a balanced intake of vitamins and minerals is mandatory. However, you should always pick the safe sources that will nourish your body without harming it. This is why sodas should be left on the outside, even if they promise to deliver vitamins and minerals. We guarantee that the main ingredient is sugar, which will only destroy your teeth.
Pick water that is rich in magnesium, calcium, and potassium, but make sure it is low in sodium, especially if you suffer from high blood pressure. They will strengthen your body and boost your health.